Archive for the 'crochet' Category

26
Jan
09

Hackey Sack Pattern (crochet)

I’m doing this for myself as much as anybody, since the piece of paper i jotted it down on when i made the pattern looks like this:

photo1

size e crochet hook (3.5mm)
100% cotton yarn, such as sugar & cream
approximately 55 grams of plastic barrel beads (also called pony beads)
blunt tapestry needle

round 1: leaving a long tail for sewing later, use magic ring method to sc 6 into ring & tighten.

round 2: 2 sc in each sc, setting a slip ring marker (or a safety pin) on first stitch. (12 st)

from here on out, set marker on the 1st stitch of every round. this is worked in a spiral, so rounds aren’t joined)

round 3: *sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat to end of round (18 st)

round 4: *sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat to end of round (24 st)

round 5: *sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat to end of round (30st)

rounds 6-11: sc in each sc around

round 12:*dec over next 2 st, sc in next 3 st* repeat to end of round (24 st)

round 13: *dec over next 2 st, sc in next 2 st* repeat to end of round (18 st)

round 14: *dec over next 2 st, sc in next st* repeat to end of round (12 st)

this is when you fill the hackey sack with beads. you want the total weight to be 60 grams, so weigh the empty hackey sack along with the beads.

photo2

round 15: (it’s a little squirelly doing this last round with it full of beads) *dec over next 2 st* around (6 st)

finish off, & cut yarn to leave a long tail.

sew both openings closed with long tails of yarn, be sure to knot it up really tight.

pull tails all the way through hackey sack & snip off from the other side (so you have a 1.5″-ish tail stuck inside the middle)

you’re done! the more you use it, the better it gets.

photo4

11
Jan
09

Project update pics

This is the project i’m working on right now.  it’s a crocheted top for my friend Jen’s daughter, Elise.

Here’s the pattern:

And here’s where i’m at as of last night:

img_2396

I wish this awesome color would photograph well, but here’s the swatch of it:

It’s a fun, quick project, which after the huge afghan I just finished is a welcome change.

img_2271

I’m also still working on mittens.  Here are examples of the pairs that I completed a while back:

img_22861

And I adapted my mitten pattern to be a convertible pair.  These are MINE!  The two-tone thing came from not having enough of the gray yarn that i was carrying along with the sock yarn to get both mittens out of it.  I really like the flap being a different color, though.

img_2400

img_2399

So, that’s what has been going on in my yarn love life these days. 🙂






Archives

categories